Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Security BSides Orlando 2016 Report

The weekend of March 12-13, the 2016 Security BSides Orlando Conference was held.  As last year, this was done just before SANS Orlando, which moved from April (its long time traditional time) to March.  And like last time, it was held at the University of Central Florida, but in a new building.



This was my third year attending and my second year speaking.  I gave a 2 hour workshop on various security standards, frameworks, and regulations such as NIST CSF, ISO/IEC 27001, HIPAA, PCI-DSS and more.  Sadly, it seem a lot of people didn't understand it was a 2 hour workshop and left halfway thru it.  I recently posted the various resources for the workshop (references, training, certifications) here on the blog.

Attendance was over 400, and I understand they got a lot of students, who got to come for free.  There were 2 tracks of talks, along with some workshops which run longer, tho I think it turned out mine was the only workshop.  In addition, they had a Capture the Flag game going on, a Lockpick Village, and several vendors and orgs in attendance.  So a great event overall.

This year's badges were different, being different colored cassette tapes depending on if you were an attendee, speaker, sponsor, staff, silver or gold.


There was a conference t-shirt and stickers.  Speakers got some extra nice things.  I'll have to take some pics of those and upload them.

Check out their Facebook group for pics.  Not sure when videos of the talks will go live on their YouTube channel, but think very soon.  Sadly, my workshop was not taped.

I look forward to next year's event.  I have some ideas for next time.  I think my topic this year was too broad, so am looking at some more focused ones.  I really hope SANS 2017 will be in April for a couple of reasons.


No comments:

Post a Comment