Friday, November 25, 2016

SANS Miami 2016

A couple of weeks ago I attended the SANS Miami 2016 conference.  While I have taken a few SANS courses, this was actually the largest SANS event I've been able to attend.  The previous events I was at were SANS Community events, one with only one course over several weeks, another was a week-long event with just 2 courses.  The rest I did on-line.

For the last few years SANS had been doing small events in our area, first in Ft Lauderdale before moving to Miami.  These events had about 5 courses.  The first few ones were mainly focused on forensics courses, which were not of interest to me.  This one had a more devise set of courses, and took one of their security management courses:  MGT514: IT Security Strategic Planning, Policy and Leadership.

Overall I thought this course was good.  For me, it was a mix of stuff I knew, stuff I had heard of but didn't know much about, and new stuff.  A lot of what I've learned has been learned on the job vs in a course, so I often have gaps in my knowledge, or I might not know the "proper" way of things.  So this kind of course helps me fill those gaps.

SANS already has SANS Miami 2017 on their calendar for next year, but haven't yet announced the 5 classes they will be offering.  Will see if I'm able to attend.

No comments:

Post a Comment