Wednesday, August 9, 2017

Sad news- Intel drops Edison, Galileo, Joule, Curie

I had previously posted about some of Intel's efforts to get involved in the IoT and Maker communities with their own products such as the Edison, Galileo, Curieand more.

At the recent DefCon conference I was chatting with the guy behind HackerBoxes and was sad to learn that Intel has recently dropped some of their efforts.  I took a look and found info that they are dropping production of the Edison, Galileo, Curie, and Joule products by the end of 2017 or mid 2018.

This is a bit disappointing.  I thought some of these had a lot of potential, and I think that if they haven't been as successful as they could have been that maybe Intel didn't do all they could to make these products successful.  I know Sparkfun had put out several items in support of the Edison.  I had hoped to see more published information on these items and there was a planned work on the Edison and Galileo that never came out.

As far as I can tell they are still supporting the Euclid product, but that's just not the same.

Does this end Intel's foray into this realm?  Hopefully not.

No comments:

Post a Comment